Friday, October 12, 2012

An Attempt

We have a kid’s fold-out couch that Jeremy and I got Andrea for her 1st birthday. She’s 7 ½ now. So it has seen better days. They girls loved it but they have grown too big for it. So, the boys have taken it over. It fits them both just perfect. It’s also Cinderella princess styled. They didn’t seem to mind. I didn’t either, but after 6 ½ years it has acquired some stains and holes. I decided to make a new cover for it. I searched and search online to find a pattern. Maybe some talented seamstress made one and I can benefit from her experience. But no, I couldn’t find one anywhere so I decided seam ripped mine, and try to make my own pattern.  It took FOREVER. That’s what kept me busy during conference! Then I needed to find the fabric. I laid all my pieces on a twin size flat sheet. It was just right! So I went in search of a flannel twin flat sheet. The cheapest I found was $20. That’s still cheaper than the $35 it would cost to buy a new one but more than I wanted to spend. So I measured it all and went searching for fabric off the bolt. I visited Hobby Lobby. Their cheapest was $6.99/yard x 3 yards = $21+tax. Still wasn’t going to spend that much.  Call me a cheap wad.  And I wasn’t wowed with their fabric patterns. (Except for Thomas the Tank Engine) Then I went to Wal-Mart. They had some Transformers flannel on clearance for 3.99/yard. Yay! I could do that! I quickly bought it up and went to work.  

 After I seam ripped the couch I labeled each piece and on a paper described where they went. So glad I did this. If I were to do this again I would’ve taken a ton more pictures! Then I sewed and sewed.
(Don't you just love my orange carpet? I know you do!)
 . I was so worried that it would be tight and I wouldn’t be able to put mine on it so some places look baggier than others but it turned out okay. Plus I didn't smooth it out very well before I took a snapshot. The boys love it and I’m hoping it will last another 6 ½ years! 


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Apryl-that is awesome. You should be very proud of it.
And awesome job finding awesome and cheap fabric.
And yes, I do love the orange carpet.

Beth said...

That is awesome! Way to go!

US! said...

I'm impressed! Way to go Apryl.

CC said...

You rock, and now I know who to call when I need something!