Thursday, July 22, 2010

"For the Benefit and Enjoyment of the People"

We quite enjoyed ourselves in Yellowstone last week. We headed up Monday morning with Jeremy's aunt, Billie; her son, Sam; and his wife, Jessica.

This was at a little drive-in we stopped on on our way. We hit St. Anthony, ID and the girls and I saw where there grandpa and his family grew up.

This is in the lodge by Old Faithful. That's Jonas and his great aunt Billie. She is the best woman. She bought my girls stuffed wolves, "treasure" rock, and the cutest socks for me. Not to mention our food, gas, AND she drove for 2 days straight.
Can you say wonder woman?

We had to stop and wait a good 10-15 minutes while we waited for the bear to cross the road. We also saw a momma grizzly and her two cubs down in a meadow. My camera lacks that strong of a zoom. That's what we get for getting a waterproof one, eh.

On a little back road we took we had to swerve around Mr. Lazy here. Really cool but it didn't top last year's buffalo encounter.

This year we went through the northern loop. I haven't done that in over a decade. I made us stop so I could get this picture. I've never been to the North Pole or the Equator but I've been 1/2 way to both!

Liberty Cap in Mammoth

Cleopatra Terrace

Minerva Terrace

The Northern Gate to Yellowstone. I'm standing at the bottom on the right side. At the top is a quote. "For the benefit and enjoyment of the people" I sure do enjoy it.

We took a little detour to see the Petrified Tree.

Tower Falls

The second day we went we woke up early and was in the park by 5am. It was totally worth it because we saw this little speck in the above picture. If I zoom in on my computer I can tell what it is. But if you can't quite make it out, I'll tell you. It's a wolf. Yes, my dear friends, I saw a wolf.
Are you jealous?

This is before the little walk to the viewpoint to see the grand canyon of Yellowstone.
And that concludes our Yellowstone tour.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is awesome that you not only say a momma bear and her two cubs as well as another grizzly in the middle of the road but you also saw a wolf! We need to go up to Yellowstone one of these summers. I don't know the last time I was there. So beautiful -and that northern gate is HUGE!
Glad that you guys always have so much fun.
And Billie is the most amazing woman-she is truly a wonder woman!

Beth said...

Oh wow, that looks like so much fun!